Sterling Creations Blog


Subscribe to our Feed

Staying in touch!

Welcome to our blogs! A page where you will find a selection of articles, editorials, and human interest stories.
We strive to bring you information that will keep you in touch with the rest of the world and we offer you an opportunity to let the rest of the world keep in touch with you through your very own contributions.

you can make your own submissions at no cost and if your submission is chosen, it will be published along with your name and any other information that you wish us to publish.
All submissions will be reviewed to ensure appropriateness before they are published.
So, time for you to keep in touch!

Enjoy and don't forget to send your feedback to us at info@sterlingcreations.ca.!

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Access technology versus mainstream technology

Greetings! I'm Scott Savoy, managing editor at http://www.sterlingcreations.ca.
Well, it is the final week of November and today our president Donna J. Jodhan has a very sobering editorial to share with us. All about access technology versus mainstream technology. I wish you a great shopping weekend.

+++++++++++++++
Access technology versus mainstream technology
By Donna J. Jodhan

Well, what more can I say to add to this topic that is very near and dear to my heart. To put into perspective:
Access technology is much more expensive than its counterpart and much less available on the market.
It is extremely challenging to have access technology repaired as opposed to its counterpart.
There are few less manufacturers of accesstechnology hardware and few less developers of software.
The profit to be made for those who develop and sell access technology is much less than for those who do the same for mainstream technology.
Access technology has to be developed in such a way as to adapt to the mainstream world.
So there is the picture. Now where do we go from here?

About 18 months ago, I bought a PDA that was developed for blind persons; a real find for me and one that I found to be really forward thinking because of its features. A few weeks ago, I was told that this PDA will no longer be manufactured and as of June 2012, no more hardware maintennance agreements would be available. Accessories will still be available as long as supplies last. Quite a shock and now we are all left holding the bag so to speak.

I am not going to identify the manufacturers of this wonderful product but suffice it to say that it has made me rethink how I go about choosing my mobile devices. Do I continue to buy access technology that is extremely expensive and one that I am not sure will be around for too long? Or do I move towards the Apple world of mobile devices such as the iPad, iPhone, and so on?
Do I expose myself to heartbreak if I continue to buy these pieces of access technology only to learn that in a short space of time they are off the market and no more supplies of accessories or support is no longer available?

Just my two cents for today


I'm Donna J. Jodhan wishing you a terrific day and weekend.
To reach me, please send an email to info@sterlingcreations.ca and I would be delighted to send you an electronic copy of our latest newsletter.

Here is a complete list of where you can view Donna's blogs and editorials.
Donna Jodhan! Advocating accessibility for all
http://www.donnajodhan.blogspot.com
Weekly features on how to increase your success with your business ventures
http://www.sterlingcreations.com/businessdesk.htm
Weekly articles and editorials on issues about accessibility
http://www.sterlingcreations.ca/blog
A monthly editorial on issues on diversity
http://www.diversityintheworkplace.ca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home