Sterling Creations Blog


Subscribe to our Feed

Staying in touch!

Welcome to our blogs! A page where you will find a selection of articles, editorials, and human interest stories.
We strive to bring you information that will keep you in touch with the rest of the world and we offer you an opportunity to let the rest of the world keep in touch with you through your very own contributions.

you can make your own submissions at no cost and if your submission is chosen, it will be published along with your name and any other information that you wish us to publish.
All submissions will be reviewed to ensure appropriateness before they are published.
So, time for you to keep in touch!

Enjoy and don't forget to send your feedback to us at info@sterlingcreations.ca.!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My favourite scrap books

As long as I can remember, and with or without sight, scrap books have
always been one of my favourite pastimes. When I was a kid, my cousins used
to clip all of my favourite pictures and photos out of magazines and
newspapers and then patiently paste them into scrap books for me. I only
had to ask and Nancy and Brenda would do it for me.

There were pictures of the Kennedy family; in particular the Kennedy
brothers. The Osmonds, and the Royal family. I could barely see these but
it did not matter. I had to have them. Later on, my best friend Charlene
continued the tradition for me and my favourites expanded to include Paul
Anka, Englebert Humperdink, Julio Iglesias, Wayne Gretzky, Princess Diana,
and of course my hero Pierre Trudeau.

I expanded my favourites when I got my vision through a cornea transplant
and for 25 glorious years I was able to cut and paste for myself. There
were many other favourites that I collected as well. I collected
memorabilia on the death of Princess Diana and JFK JR along with Pierre
Trudeau and I extended my scrap book pastime to include videos.

Five years ago when I lost almost all of my vision, my pastime came to a
screeching halt but I held on to my scrap books and videos. A few months
ago, I decided to rid myself of some of these treasured scrap books because
it was becoming too much for me to store and it was with a very heavy heart
and a lump in my throat that I did this. Before parting with them, I opened
each and riffled through their pages doing my best to remember. Then
fighting back tears, I placed them in a large box and took them down to the
garbage shoot. "Rest in peace" was what I whispered as I gently pushed them
down the shoot.

These scrap books have helped me to keep my memories alive. I have kept
some of the more treasured ones back but I shall always miss the others. I
still have my videos because at least, I can play them and listen to them.

I'm Donna J. Jodhan your friendly accessibility advocate wishing you a
terrific day and inviting you to go out there and tell others how much a
blind person can enjoy scrap books and videos. Visit www.aph.org to learn
more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home