Sterling Creations Blog


Subscribe to our Feed

Staying in touch!

Welcome to our blogs! A page where you will find a selection of articles, editorials, and human interest stories.
We strive to bring you information that will keep you in touch with the rest of the world and we offer you an opportunity to let the rest of the world keep in touch with you through your very own contributions.

you can make your own submissions at no cost and if your submission is chosen, it will be published along with your name and any other information that you wish us to publish.
All submissions will be reviewed to ensure appropriateness before they are published.
So, time for you to keep in touch!

Enjoy and don't forget to send your feedback to us at info@sterlingcreations.ca.!

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Where is our classroom?

Greetings! I'm Christian Robicheau and welcome to March! Ah yes! March is finally here and spring is just around the corner. Today, I have an interesting editorial to share with you; written by our president Donna J. Jodhan.
Today, Donna is asking for us to define our classroom.
Enjoy your weekend.

+++++++++++++++
Where is our classroom?
By Donna J. Jodhan

As a blind person who has been fortunate to have had the opportunity to take all kinds of courses and complete all kinds of degrees, I have been able to attend classes in person as well as take them online. The question for me as a blind person is this: Where exactly is my classroom? Where would be the best place for me?

Of course, I probably will not be able to give you a definitive answer but instead I’ll give you my thoughts on both settings.

I like attending classes in person because it gives me the chance to meet my fellow students and to interact directly with my professors and instructors. I would normally tape my classes with a digital recorder and then come home to listen and take notes. I would take notes using my computer. I find that if I try to take notes in the classroom using my computer, I soon get confused listening to the voice of my screen reading software along with listening to the voice of my lecturer. It’s funny though that I can take minutes with my computer but not take notes in class.

The challenges of attending classes in person is that I have to keep reminding the professor or instructor to describe or speak whatever is put on the board. In addition, printed handouts are a challenge for me to deal with. These two challenges however are becoming less of a problem for me.

I like attending classes from the comfort of my home; the online way but whereas I don’t have to put up with finding my way there to a physical location, there are the following challenges.
I have to ensure that online texts are in a readable format for me; in text, MS word, or HTML format.
I have to ensure that I can easily navigate the website where the online course is being given and that I can complete forms independently.
I have to ensure that I have easy access to my instructors either via email or via phone.

So where is my classroom? The jury is still out for me.


I'm Donna J. Jodhan wishing you a terrific day and weekend.
To reach me, please send an email to info@sterlingcreations.ca and I would be delighted to send you an electronic copy of our latest newsletter.

Here is a complete list of where you can view Donna's blogs and editorials.
Donna Jodhan! Advocating accessibility for all
http://www.donnajodhan.blogspot.com
Weekly features on how to increase your success with your business ventures
http://www.sterlingcreations.com/businessdesk.htm
Weekly articles and editorials on issues about accessibility
http://www.sterlingcreations.ca/blog
A monthly editorial on issues on diversity
http://www.diversityintheworkplace.ca

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home